Many men concern about sperm count. That is especially true if they want to have a child. The question is, what is the average sperm count? If you are one of these men and looking for an answer, just keep reading. Here we will talk about sperm count, its healthy amount and how to increase it. Let’s start.
What is sperm count?
That’s right. What is it? Sperm count is the quantity of semen that must be in a specimen. Given a total semen volume of 2 ml, the “average” number is 20 mln. That is the same to an absolute amount of sperm per specimen of 40 mln.
Wait, that’s a large number!
Do you think this figure is significant? Does it startle you? This number is not that surprising. Why? Because it needs a large quantity of semen to guarantee that gestation happens. Furthermore, only some sperm can achieve the egg. And yes, there is usually only one egg produced during ovulation. And there are two fallopian tubes.
That’s right. That means about half of the sperm will probably get together near the improper tube inlet. To complicate things even further, under perfect conditions, sperm’s life span is only a few days. If pregnancy happens, an egg has to be precise. So, what if you have reduced sperm count? Does that mean you are infertile?
Not necessarily. That does not say that you are infertile. However, if you have lower than average sperm count, that means:
- You will need more time to get your woman pregnant.
- Change in health, lifestyle and dietary may be required.
- Ovulation timing intercourse with a pre assigned periodicity may be recommended.
- More medical interventions may be suggested by your doctor.
Also, low sperm count should not be garbled with a more serious issue such as azoospermia. Azoospermia is when a man does not have any measurable sperm count at all.
How to increase sperm count?
The positive news is you can increase your sperm count. How? Here is how:
- Unhealthy lifestyle will cause a low sperm count. Stop smoking and stop alcohol abuse.
- Improve your diet. Cut out processed foods. Eat foods rich in protein. For instance, vegetables and whole grains. Having organic foods is also a good idea.
- Exercise. Regular exercise is important. It will decrease stress hormones that can harm sperm. Yes, for both men and women. However, don’t overdo it. Also, don’t do any exercises that my stress or impact the testicles. And, consider exercises that can help to relieve stress. For instance, tai chi, yoga, meditation.